College Financial Aid Workshop at Brandon High Tonight
The first of a series of financial aid information nights is set for tonight, Jan. 15, at Brandon High School. Can't make the date? Additional workshops are scheduled for Jefferson, Gaither, Riverview and Hillsborough high schools.
Is there anything more costly than a college education? Of course, but that doesn't lessen the pain for college-bound seniors and their parents in trying economic times. This year, as in years past, Hillsborough guidance counselors are hosting financial aid seminars to help families get the best financial-aid deals.
First, a look at the costs:
- In its most recent survey of college costs, the College Board reported that a moderate college budget for an in-state public college for the 2012–13 academic year averaged a record $22,261, up 3.8 percent from 2011-12.
- Double that for a private college.
- And tuition accounted for only a portion of the increase. The College Board, a national nonprofit organization that provides help for college-bound students, said fees alone rose 4.8 percent to $8,655. In addition, higher dorm, cafeteria, books and other expenses added significantly to the overall increase.
As a result, more and more parents are depending on tax breaks and tuition assistance to pay for their child's college education.
To help parents wade through the red tape required to receive financial aid, Hillsborough County Public Schools Guidance Services is hosting a series of financial aid information nights for high school students and their families.
University financial aid representatives will explain the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) process, review how colleges and universities compile financial aid packages, and discuss available federal aid.
2013 College Financial Aid Seminars In Hillsborough:
(Open to students and their families from any school countywide)
- Jan. 15 — Brandon High School — 1101 Victoria Street
- Jan. 17 — Jefferson High School, 4401 West Cypress St., Tampa
- Jan. 24 — Gaither High School, 16200 North Dale Mabry Highway, Tampa
- Jan. 29 — Riverview High School, 11311 Boyette Road
- Jan. 31 — Hillsborough High School, 5000 North Central Ave., Tampa
All meetings start at 7 p.m. in the school auditorium. For more information, call 813-273-7203.