Gasparilla Guide: Road Closures, Detours, Parking and PublicTransporation
Venturing outside Brandon for a trip to or through Tampa? Keep in mind the 2012 Gasparilla Pirate Fest is under way. Whether you plan to attend or not, here's some need-to-know's for traveling to or through Tampa.
Planning on going to Gasparilla Pirate Fest on Saturday, Jan. 28?
Keep in mind these road closure times before venturing to the parade:
Saturday at 9 a.m.
- Closed eastbound Kennedy Boulevard from Hyde Park Avenue to Ashley Drive.
- Closed Ashley Drive from Tampa Street split to Jackson Street.
- Closed Jackson Street from Ashley Drive to Tamps Street.
- Closed westbound Kennedy Boulevard from Florida Avenue to Plant Avenue.
- Closed Madison Street from Ashley Drive to Tampa Street.
- Closed westbound Madison Street from Florida Avenue to Tampa Street.
- Closed Twiggs Street from Ashley Drive to Tampa Street.
- Closed westbound Twiggs Street from Florida Avenue to Tampa Street.
- Closed Zack Street from Ashley Drive to Tampa Street.
- Closed westbound Zack Street from Florida Avenue to Tampa Street.
- Closed Polk Street from Ashley Drive to Tampa Street.
- Closed westbound Polk Street from Florida Avenue to Tampa Street.
Saturday at 11 a.m.
- Closed Cass Street from Willow Avenue to Tampa Street.
- Closed Willow Avenue from Cass Street to North A Street.
- Closed Tyler Street from Florida Avenue to Gasparilla Plaza.
Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Closed eastbound Bay to Bay Boulevard from MacDill Avenue to Ysabella Avenue.
- Closed eastbound Swann Avenue at MacDill Avenue.
- Closed eastbound Swann Avenue from Armenia Avenue to Howard Avenue.
- Closed eastbound Kennedy Boulevard at Howard Avenue.
- Closed eastbound Platt Street at Willow Avenue.
- Closed Willow Avenue between Kennedy Boulevard and Cleveland Street.
- Closed southbound Willow Avenue from Cleveland Street to Swann Avenue.
- Closed southbound South Boulevard from Kennedy Boulevard to Platt Street.
- Closed Whiting Street from Tampa Street to Franklin Street.
- Closed westbound Whiting Street from Florida Avenue to Franklin Street.
For more information, visit www.tampagov.net.
Parking in the neighborhoods bordering the Gasparilla Parade of the Pirates route is not permitted and the city will ticket and tow cars parked in “No Parking” areas on Saturday, Jan. 28.
Here's a rundown of parking garages and lots in downtown.
- Tampa Convention Center Garage, 333 S. Franklin St., will open at 5 a.m. ($10).
- South Regional Garage, 301 Channelside Dr., will open at 6 a.m. ($10).
- Ft. Brooke Garage, 107 N. Franklin St., will open at 6 a.m. ($10). Monthly parkers must pay at this location all day Saturday.
- Whiting Street Garage, 400 E. Whiting St., will open at 9 a.m. ($10). Monthly parkers must pay at this location all day Saturday.
- Jackson Street Parking Lot, 420 E. Jackson St., will open at 7 a.m. ($10). Monthly parkers must pay at this location all day Saturday.
- Twiggs Street Garage, 901 E. Twiggs St., will open at 6 a.m. at normal hourly rates of $1.20/hr, with a $7 daily maximum. This will be an automated facility with a paystation collecting payment on the exit.
- Royal Regional Lot, 1200 N.Tampa St., will open at 7 a.m. ($10).
- Meters south of Kennedy Boulevard and on Kennedy Boulevard will be enforced from 8 a.m. until midnight.
You finally managed to park somewhere in downtown or Ybor City this Saturday. But how will you get to the parade and back?
Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority (HART) will offer extra streetcar and bus services during Gasparilla Pirate Fest Saturday, Jan. 28.
TECO Line Streetcar
Folks parking in Ybor City may take the streetcar from Ybor City (Centennial Park Station) to downtown (Dick Greco Plaza). Transportation service runs from 9 a.m. Saturday to 1.30 a.m. Sunday. Cost is $5 for an all-day pass, which may be purchased with cash at ticket vending machines (change provided) located at each streetcar station.
HART Bus Service
Those parking in Ybor City may also take HART Bus Route 8, which will operate continuous service during peak times in the morning and afternoon from Ybor City (Streetcar Society Station) to Downtown (Dick Greco Plaza). Buses will run from Port Authority and Cumberland Streetcar Stations to Dick Greco Plaza when streetcars are operating at capacity. Cost is $3.75 for an all-day pass, which may be purchased in advance at HART retail outlets or on board buses on Gasparilla Day with cash only, no change provided. Monthly bus passes may also be used.
Provides a connection from the north end of Downtown Tampa (Marion Transit Center) to the south end of Downtown Tampa (Dick Greco Plaza). Transportation service runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Cost is $0.25 or streetcar/bus all-day passes accepted.
Getting to Downtown Tampa on HART
- From South Tampa: Route 19
- From West Tampa: Route 7
- From North Tampa: Routes 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 12, 18
- From Temple Terrace: Route 6
- From Brandon: Route 8
- From Citrus Park: Route 7
- From Town 'N Country/Westchase: Route 30
- View entire bus system map
- View Saturday bus schedule
For more information, call 813-254-4278 or visit www.gohart.org.
Park and Float
Tampa Water Taxi will offer charter invasion rates on Gasparilla Day. Water taxi trips are also regularly available for residents and visitors at stops from the Straz Center for the Performing Arts to the Tampa Bay Times Forum and many stops in between. Cost is $5 per person. Call Captain Larry at (888) 665-8687.