MLK Holiday: What's Open, What's Closed
Here's a quick guide to Hillsborough County services running and not today, Jan. 21, in observance of the 2013 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
Brandon residents hoping to catch up on some business with Hillsborough County on Monday will have to wait. Most government offices will close in observance of the federal Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.
The county has announced that most of its facilities, including administrative offices, will close down Monday, Jan. 21 due to the holiday.
Here’s a look at some of the more specific closings:
- Animal Services: The county’s shelter will close for the holiday, but emergency staff will be available at 813-744-5660.
- Fire Rescue: Administrative offices will be closed, including the Fire Marshall’s Office and the Office of Emergency Management. Emergency services, however, will continue.
- InfoLine: No one will be answering the phones at 813-272-5900 on Monday.
- Head Start: All Head Start and Early Head Start locations and delegate agencies such as the YMCA, will be closed Jan. 21 for the holiday and again Jan. 22 for a teacher training day.
- Libraries: All Hillsborough County public libraries are closed Monday.
- Parks: The county’s recreation centers are closed, but all regional parks plan to open.
- Sunshine Line: Service will not be available on Monday.
- Public Utilities: Customer service centers and administrative offices are closed. Emergencies can be called into 813-744-5600. The Water Quality Hotline at 813-264-3835 will be manned over the holiday, as well.
For more information about Hillsborough County government closings, visit the county’s website.