The American Red Cross has begun offering an online version of its “Coping with Deployments” course, which is designed to promote resilience in families supporting the military deployment of a loved one.
“After introducing the original instructor-led course in 2008 and seeing how it has helped military families, we’re pleased to be able to offer this course online so that more people can benefit,” said Sherri Brown, senior vice president of Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces.
The Red Cross developed “Coping with Deployments” after working closely with subject-matter experts from all service branches—along with National Guard and Reserve components—to complement what is offered in their courses.
Since 2008, approximately 4,400 people have participated in the instructor-led course.
The course is available to the family members of Reserve, National Guard and active-duty service members, including spouses, older children, parents, siblings and significant others, as well as to military members who take it with their family. Veterans and their family members are also eligible.
5 Things To Know About "Coping With Deployments"
- Like its instructor-led counterpart, the free online course aims to help military families handle the challenges and opportunities that come with a family member’s deployment.
- Participants learn how to offer emotional support to those in need and how to build resiliency within themselves and in others, including children. These are skills that people can use in many life situations.
- The course’s online format benefits those who are unable to attend an instructor-led course, live far from a military installation or community, or who would like a refresher.
- The Red Cross is also introducing a Spanish-language version of both the instructor-led and online course, which will broaden the reach of this skill-building resource to Spanish-speaking military family members.
- The course is available to the family members of Reserve, National Guard and active-duty service members, including spouses, older children, parents, siblings and significant others, as well as to military members who take it with their family. Veterans and their family members are also eligible.
How To Register, Join Online, In-Person Deployments Course
- Those interested in taking the online course can register in the Red Cross Learning Center.
- Family members who would like to attend an instructor-led course should contact the Tampa Bay chapter of the Red Cross at 813-868-7642.