The upcoming "Bring Art Alive" Gallery Hop, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 14, is one of several events planned to promote the arts in the Greater Brandon area. The annual event invites the community to "find the hidden treasures of Greater Brandon" and is sponsored by the Greater Brandon Arts Council, Center Place, and the Brandon League of Fine Arts.
In her blog on Patch, Anne Drewry, president of the Greater Brandon Arts Council, said her group's aim is "to foster the arts in the community, sponsor art events, and spread information about local cultural events throughout the area."
Toward that end, Drewry has sent word of four major events coming this fall.
Gallery Hop: 'Find The Hidden Treasures Of Brandon'
- Set for Sept. 14, "the hop" this year features six venues. Visit all six venues between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. and be eligible to win a gift basket from one of the venues, at the 5:30 p.m. reception at the Center Place Fine Arts & Civic Association in Brandon. Tickets and passport stamps will be available at each venue throughout the day. The venues are: The Green Boutique, Orange Home Accessories, Pottery Patch, Beaux Arts Gallery, Sketch and Sip, The Bead Boutique and Center Place (see list below).
Art Seminar: Contracts And The Law
- Set for Oct. 26, at the Bloomingdale Regional Library, an “Art and the Law Seminar” with Anne Dalton of Fort Myers. "She will concentrate on contracts and answer questions you have about laws governing the arts," Drewry said. Light refreshments will be served.
Artfest, Chalk Walk And Hands-On Activities
- Set for Nov. 2, a day of treats at Center Place. At Artfest, sponsored by the Brandon League of Fine Arts, local artists are set to display their creations, for sale, in the grand room and outside, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Also, during the same hours, family friendly hands-on activities, sponsored by the Greater Brandon Arts Council, will involve painting, collage, beading, face-painting and sand art. From 1 to 3 p.m., Center Place is set to host its annual Chalk Walk, which asks budding artists and their families to draw chalk works on the sidewalk outside Center Place and surrounding the Parsons Avenue lake. Throughout the day food vendors will be in the parking lot.
'Parade Of Pigs'
- "Last, but definitely not least, is our 'Parade of Pigs' fundraising effort," Drewry said. "Support the arts in the Greater Brandon area by purchasing a ceramic pig, which will be glazed and fired to your specifications at the Pottery Patch." The pigs will be on display at the Nov. 2 Artfest; after that, they can be picked up by their owners. "Your business needs a mascot," Drewry said. "Why not a cute pig that will display your logo, if you wish, and be an added attraction in your office or by your cash register?"
Gallery Hop Locations
- The Green Boutique, at Plaza Bella, 1032 Bloomingdale Ave. Call: 813-685-9494.
- Orange Home Accessories, at Plaza Bella, 1046 Bloomingdale Ave. Call: 813-681-8686.
- Pottery Patch (a paint-your-own pottery studio), 2551 East State Road 60, Valrico. Call: 813-643-0014.
- Beaux Arts Gallery, in the Times Building at Winthrop Town Centre, 11252 Winthrop Main St., Riverview. Call: 813-438-3844.
- Sketch and Sip, in the Times Building at Winthrop Town Centre, 11248 Winthrop Main St., Riverview. Call: 813-263-4576.
- The Bead Boutique, in the La Viva Plaza, 704 West Lumsden Road. Call: 813-662-9900. "Make your own piece of jewelry to take with you."
- Center Place Fine Arts & Civic Association, 619 Vonderburg Drive. Call: 813-685-8888. Call: 813-685-8888.
Gallery Hop Program
The Bead Boutique
- Make your own piece of jewelry to take with you.
- Musical entertainment by John Marc on the cello.
- 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. — Roxanne Tobaison, watercolor
- 11 a.m. to noon — Doreen Donovan, watercolor
- Noon to 1 p.m. — Sue Allen, watercolor
- 1 to 2 p.m. — Bonnie Phillips, water soluble oil
- 2 to 3 p.m. — Roxanne Tobaison, watercolor
- 3 to 4 p.m. — Artist to be announced
- Dichroic jewelry-making with Beth Kauffman (minimal fee)
- Paint an ornament.
- Make and take your own painting.
- 5:30 to 7 p.m. — Artworks Open Show 2013
- 6 p.m. — Awards presented for Artworks
- Drawing for the baskets from the venues. You must have a stamp from all six venues to be eligible for the drawing. Each location has a "passport" on which you can collect those stamps.
- Silent auction for pots decorated by members of the Brandon League of Fine Arts.