Alison Farnan is this year's volunteer coordinator for the 2012 Trick or Treat Street (TOTS) event hosted by the Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce at Riverview High School, where thousands of people each year arrive for a safe place to dress up and get holiday treats.
"It's a good, safe place for parents to bring their kids out and it's a great place to learn more about local businesses that you might not have heard of otherwise," said Farnan, whose own business is Click-Me-Quick, which provides mobile photography booths for personal, business and community events.
Farnan said this is her first year involved with the event, which needs "150 to 200 volunteers, easily."
The event, presented as well by the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office and the Hillsborough County Parks, Recreation and Conservation Department, is scheduled for Oct. 20 from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m.
There wil be costume contests for kids and, for the older revelers, cash prizes for those wearing winning costumes.
Mike Self, of S&S Taco's & Stuff/Pizza's & Stuff in South Riverview, is this year's TOTS chair. He said it is his fourth year with the event and his third year as chair.
"So much of the community comes out to support this event," he said. "It's the signature event of the Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce."
The event's size he has come to appreciate.
"They kept telling me thousands of kids would be coming and I said, 'Yeah, right,' " Self said. "That year was our first year, we were a food vendor. We actually went through 30 to 40 pizzas in two or three hours."
This year, about 10,000 people are expected to attend.
"It's been awesome to see it grow and get bigger and bigger every year," Self said. "We're expecting more than 10,000 people this year."
Riverview Chamber's 2012 Trick Or Treat Street At Riverview High School
- The event is Oct. 20 from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Riverview High School, 11311 Boyette Road.
- Represenatives from local churches, businesses and organizations dress up in costume, decorate their booths and distribute candy or small toys to children of all ages. Prize ribbons are awarded for booth design and decoration in several categories.
- View the online costume contest form. The cost to register is $3 in advance; the deadline to register in advance is Oct. 18, before 1 p.m. Registration on site costs $5 and will be taken 30 minutes before each contest.
- Register at the event for the dog costume contest at 6 p.m. Cost to enter the contest is $10. First- second and third-place prizes will be awarded. The contest is sponsored by Four Paws Veterinary Hospital. Proceeds benefit Critter Adoption and Rescue Effort Inc. (C.A.R.E.)
- For more information, contact the Greater Riverview Chamber of Commerce at 10012 Water Works Lane in Riverview. The office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 pm. Call: 813-234-5944. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like what you read? Don't miss out on Brandon Patch news. Sign up for our daily newsletter and support your local news.