It's arguably the most common New Year's resolution of all:
For the health conscious, gyms and trainers in the Greater Brandon area are offering a variety of specials to help the determined shed pounds and lose inches.
"The advice I give people every year is that once you start you gotta finish it" said Aaron McClain, owner of . "It’s a lifestyle not a resolution. Too many people are done by Jan. 15. Make it a lifestyle."
will do its part to help bring in the New Year's resolution crowd by offering a 30-day trial with any standard membership purchase. In addition, the month of January will offer a chance to join without start-up fees, making it the cheapest time of year to become a member.
"This is a great way for someone looking to get back into the gym to join and see how much they like it," said James Hamill, a Lifestyle general manager. "The big thing you like to see is for people to make the decision. Don't be half-in and half-out, be proactive. At least try it for 30 days, because that is enough time to form better habits."
Here is a breakdown of area gyms and what specials they are offering for those looking to get into shape in 2012.
- , 1067 East Brandon Blvd.; 813-363-3646. Five weight training lessons free with the purchase of a minimum 12 lesson package. Packages run between $280 and $360.
- , 2890 Providence Lakes Blvd.; 813-685-9160. Specials will be unveiled after Jan. 1 The gym offers 15 different packages and offers monthly specials throughout the year.
- , 110 Lithia Pinecrest Road; 813-571-9797. Specials: $25 per session when you buy a group of 10 (must be used by Feb. 28). Or, $90 off a 12- or 16-week weight-loss program.
- , 937 East Brandon Blvd.; 813-571-7800. The all-ladies facility is offering 30 days for $30. The new Curves complete weight loss program comes with a weeklong free trial as well.
- , 731 West Lumsden Road, Suite A.; 813-661-0033.
Another all-ladies facility, Shapes offers all the amenities of any co-ed gym, but without the guys. For the New Year, they are offering a montly $14.99 membership special.
- , 1903 West Lumsden Blvd.; 813-654-6568. Fitness for $10 is a gym built around being economical and offers a variety of packages that are easy on your wallet. For a low price you get 24/7 gym access and will have diverse options for how you want to go about your new fitness regiment.
Don't see your favorite gym or workout spot here? Tell us in the comments section where you work out and what kind of specials are offered for those looking to get in shape in 2012.