For some people, it's just another Wednesday in just another December in just another year. But today is special: It's the 12th day on the 12th month in the 12th year of the new millenium, which means it's the last such triple-date until Jan. 1, 2101.
So, before we let go of this alliterative date, let’s take a moment to give 12-12-12 its due, and leave to future generations the opportunity to speak about 1-1-01.
Twelve Cool Things To Know About 12-12-12
- Alabama teenager Kiam Moriya turns 12 at 12:12 on 12-12. — Emirates247.com
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are set to open 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief at Madison Square Garden in New York. It is being billed as the largest event in music history.
- Pope Benedict XVI has opened a personal Twitter account, and he is scheduled to answer a question about faith in his first tweet, scheduled for 12-12-12, according to Vatican officials. — CNN belief blog
- An online poll attached to an article asking, 12/12/12 Is it the end? asks readers to vote for what they think will happen today. Among the eight choices: "Rapture," "World War 3," "Global Economic Crash," "Solar Flares" and "Nothing, it's all nonsense."
- At noon Wednesday, the First-Plymouth Church in Nebraska is set to hold a Gateweay Day to Healing for the World service at which "people of all faiths are invited to share 'the experience of Realignment with our Collective Conscious." — Journal Star
- Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers wears No. 12. "So earlier this year the state Legislature designated the day [12-12-12] Aaron Rodgers Day in honor of the Super Bowl winner and last year’s MVP." — The Washington Post
- "For 12/12/12: A Novel in 12 Words" offers descriptions of novels in 12 words. For example, The Shining: "All work and no play makes Jack a dull — but dangerous — boy." — The Washington Post
- Students will be memorizing "12-24-36-48-60-72-84-96-108-120-132-144." To aid in that effort, here's a catchy tune for learning your 12's times table. — YouTube
- In honor of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who wears No. 12, "his team is planning a series of events, offering free admittance to its interactive museum in the 12 o'clock hour and discounts at its shop — 12 percent off, naturally." — NPR.com
- "According to the South China Morning Post, many private doctors are being booked for Caesarean births. The reason, it says: Dec. 12 stands for love, but a greater urgency to have children was felt on 11-11-11 (eternal love) and 10-10-10 (perfection)." — USA Today
- County clerks are expecting a wedding rush. — WPTV.com
- Thousands of couples are expected to declare their vows of everlasting love in Las Vegas. — New York Times
Have something special of your own to report about 12-12-12? Let us know in the comment box below.