With temperatures in the 70's, looking for something to do on a lazy Saturday is not that hard to figure out. As the outside beckons, consider as well this list of things to do Nov. 19 in Greater Brandon and beyond.
Ninth Annual Plant City Pig Jam
- More than 75 teams from throughout Florida and the nation are signed up to participate in today's contest of ribs, pulled pork, beef brisket and chicken, open to the public at the Randy L. Larsen Softball Four-Plex, at 1500 South Park Road in Plant City. Sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society, the event awards trophies, ribbons and $16,000 in prize money. Sample barbecue tastes, talk to the chefs and visit vendors. Also on tap: roasted corn, coleslaw and ice cream. College games will be broadcast in the beer tent. In the children's tent, rock-climbing, moon walk and o ther activities. Live entertainment by Ace Jackson and the Jump Kings and the Double Barrel Band. Admission is free. Parking is $5.
Free Yogurt at Yogurtology's Brandon Grand Opening
- Yogurtology joins the small business landscape in Brandon with a grand opening Nov. 19 at 11 a.m., with free yogurt treats from 1-3 p.m. The Brandon location, at 1914 Brandon Blvd., joins Yogurtology of Florida, owned by Grant Levy, Jaclyn Levy and Keenan Baldwin, with a local opening in the strip center east of the -anchored center. The Brandon Yogurtology is bordered by and Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza. Related Coverage: .
Brandon Ballet's Sugar Plum Fairy Tea
- Ask any young dancer what part she aspires to play during the Christmas season and the most likely response is the Sugar Plum Fairy. Straight from the Land of Sweets, the Sugar Plum Fairy is scheduled to attend a meet- and-greet Nov. 19 from 1-3 p.m. The event is at the home of the Brandon Ballet, at The Dance Center, in the Winn-Dixie anchored shopping center at 161 East Bloomingdale Ave. The event is for girls ages 3 and older living in Greater Brandon and beyond. For a $25 annual fee, club members receive a personalized letter of welcome from the Sugar Plum Fairy, an autographed pair of toe shoes worn by the fairy and a tiara to wear to all Brandon Ballet performances. Also included are opportunities for backstage tours, a dress rehearsal viewing and more. Call 813-684-4282, Monday-Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Online membership applications and payments also are accepted. Meanwhile, tickets are on sale for the “The Nutcracker,” Dec. 10, at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., and Dec. 11, at 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Tickets cost $25 for adults, $20 for seniors (ages 55 and over) and $15 for children (ages 18 and under). The ballet will be performed at the Spoto High School auditorium, at 8538 Eagle Palm Drive, in Riverview. Tickets are available online. Call: 813-684-4282.
The Frenzie's Closing Night for "Cabaret"
- The Frenzie - Life Theatre stages its final showing of "Cabaret." Curtain time is 8 p.m. and doors open 30 minutes earlier. The show is at the Barn Theatre at Winthop, at 11349 Bloomindgale Ave. in Riverview, just east of Providence Road. Tickets cost $15 for general admission and $12 for seniors, military and students with identification. The show is not recommended for children under age 13 and no children under age 5 are permitted. Related Coverage: .
"Breaking Dawn" at
- From 'tween to cougar and beyond, the "Twilight" saga has captured the hearts of many a romantic. "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1," the fourth movie installment based on the vampire-themed fantasy romance series, written by American author Stephanie Meyer, opened with post-midnight showings Nov. 18. to Team Edward or Team Jacob (take our to do so as well) while waiting on line at . Today's remaining show times today (Nov. 19) are 1:05 p.m., 1:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m., 3:15 p.m., 4:05 p.m., 4:45 p.m., 5:30 p.m., 6:20 p.m., 7:05 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 8:30 p.m., 9:20 p.m., 10:05 p.m., 10:45 p.m., and 11:30 p.m. Not a Twihard? Not to worry, also showing: "Happy Feet Two" (also in 3D and IMAX 3D), "A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas" (3D), "Dolphin Tale," "Footloose," "Immortals," "In Time," "J. Edgar," "Jack and Jill," "Paranormal Activity 3," "Puss in Boots," "Real Steel," "The Metropolitan Opera: Satyagraha LIVE," and "Tower Heist."