Today, March 8, is Senior Day at the 2012 Florida Strawberry Festival, featuring a drawing for seniors as well as a Strawberry Shortcake Eating Contest for attendees of all ages.
Purchase a wristband for $19 at the midway and ride most mechanical rides from 3-11 p.m. for this discounted price.
Started in 1930 by the Plant City Alliance Club, the festival is in its 77th year, having taken a hiatus during World War II, according to Al Berry, a long-time volunteer and festival board member.
This year's theme: "Growing Sweet Memories."
Festival officials expect some 500,000 visitors to the fairgrounds, at 303 N. Lemon St.
Leading up to and over the course of the festival, some 7,000 kids compete in various contests, including the Florida Strawberry Festival Queen Pageant, speaking contests and agriculture shows involving steers, pigs and plants.
Eight Things To Know Today (March 8):
- Festival gates open at 10 a.m.; the midway, at noon.
- General admission is $10 for patrons ages 13 and up. Children ages 5 and under admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult. Children ages 6-12 require a $5 youth ticket. Limited stadium seats are free for all shows with general admission. Seating is on a first-come, first-served basis. Stadium shows are 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. daily, and the stadium is cleared after the 3:30 p.m. show. Reserved seating available at the Amscot Main Ticket Gate, 2209 West Oak Ave. Remaining reserved-seat tickets will be sold at the ticket office adjacent to the east-side bleachers. Concert tickets do not include gate admission; ages 3 and up require a ticket.
- Seniors age 60 and older get a $2 discount off the $10 admission price. Senior Day is sponsored by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida.
- The Senior Citizens' Drawing is scheduled for noon at the Wish Farms Soundstage. (You must be present to win.)
- Ride-A-Thon is from 3-11 p.m., which means the purchase of a discounted $19 wristband entitles the wearer to ride most mechanical rides for this one low price.
- The Strawberry Shortcake Eating Contest is 3 p.m. at the Stingray Chevrolet Entertainment Tent.
- The Charlie Daniels Band takes to the Wish Farms Soundstage at 3:30 p.m. (See stadium/concert pricing above.)
- Luke Bryan is set to perform 7:30 p.m. on the Wish Farms Soundstage. (See stadium/concert pricing above.)
- The 2012 Florida Strawberry Festivals's Grand Parade in Photos
- Awards Announced for the Florida Strawberry Festival's Grand Parade
- Strawberry Queen Creates Season's Favorites at Original Leena's Chocolates
- Kid's Day at the 2012 Florida Strawberry Festival in Plant City
- (Marc 4)
- (March 5)
- American Heroes Day, Corndog Contest at Florida Strawberry Festival Today (March 7)