The event is scheduled to take place Saturday, Sept. 14, three days after the 2013 Patriot Day Observance at Hillsborough County Veterans Memorial Park and Rear Admiral LeRoy Collins Jr. Veterans Museum.
"We are inviting the community to come and show their appreciation for the [Tampa] Bay area's first responders and military men and women," said 20-year U.S. Army veteran Michael Graham, commander of AMVETS Post 44, in a news release about the Sept. 14 event. "Our goals are to inspire and remind the community of the patriotism and pride that brought the nation together after the terrorist attacks, to remember those who lost their lives that day and in the conflicts since then [and] to honor and show community support for our first responders and our military, the heroic men and women who serve to protect us every day."
Graham noted that in prior years, the event's focus primarily had been placed on the military.
"This year we want to focus attention to the fact that our civilian first responders undertake equally difficult duties, and perform those duties in equally, if not even more, dangerous environments," Graham said.
He added that the event has raised more than $25,000 to support local charities, including for recreational services at the James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital and Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Charities.
Patriot Day Observance And Remembrance Ride Particulars
- The event is set for Sept. 14 at Hillsborough County Veterans Memorial Park in Tampa, at 3602 North U.S. Highway 301, from noon to 5 p.m.
- A short memorial ceremony is set to begin at 1:19 p.m., with Command Sgt. Major Chris Faris, U.S. Special Operations Command Senior Enlisted Advisor, as the keynote speaker.
- Festivities include a family friendly festival with live entertainment from local performers Jacked Up. Also, various vendors and interactive displays from the military and first responders.
- Cost for a barbeque dinner and a chance to win one of several grand prizes is a $15 donation (or $25 for two attendees). Grand prizes include roundtrip airfare for two, an iPad or a two-night, three-day stay at the Sirata Beach Resort in St. Pete Beach.
- Other items will be raffled off. Also on tap, a live auction and 50/50 cash raffle.
Patriot Day Remembrance Ride
Motorcyclists for the Patriot Day Remembrance Ride will gather at six locations throughout the Tampa Bay area, from which they will ride to the Patriot Day Observance. These locations are:
- Harley-Davidson of Brandon, 9841 Adamo Drive (State Road 60)
- Jim's Harley-Davidson, Clearwater, 2805 54th Ave. North, St. Petersburg
- Gulf Coast Harley-Davidson, 5817 State Road 54, New Port Richey
- Manatee River Harley-Davidson, 624 67th Street Circle East, Bradenton
- Harley-Davidson of Lakeland, 4202 Lakeland Hills Blvd., Lakeland
- Harley-Davidson of Tampa, 6920 North Dale Mabry Hwy., Tampa