Several people had to be evacuated from a Brandon apartment complex Jan. 20 because of potential carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a Hillsborough County Fire Rescue report.
Fire rescue units reportedly arrived at the Westchester Apartments at 12:48 p.m. after a carbon monoxide alarm went off in one of the units, at 105 Westchester Oaks Lane.
Fire crews went into the apartment and noticed the carbon monoxide monitor showed increased levels. The apartment unit residents were not home at the time. The apartments above the unit were evacuated and crews made entry wearing self contained breathing apparatus, according to fire officials.
Officials believe the cause was a Sentsy Electric Fragrance Wax Warmer. The warmer was plugged into a three-way plug splitter and there was soot on the wall behind the plug in unit, according to the report.