It wasn't just a pack of cigarettes that the man wearing a straw hat wanted from the clerk at the Gas Kwick/Marathon station on Adamo Drive in Brandon.
When he asked to purchase a pack of cigarettes on Oct. 30 at around 7:26 p.m., the clerk totaled the purchase and opened the register, only to see the man brandish a gun and demand money, according to a report from the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
According to the report:
- The clerk complied with the armed robber's demand and gave him an undisclosed amount of money.
- The robber then left the store and entered the passenger side of a vehicle, which "was occupied by an unknown Hispanic or black male driver."
- The vehicle was last seen traveling eastbound on Adamo Drive, also known as State Road 60.
Now, the hunt is on for the man in the oversized straw hat. Toward that end, the sheriff's office released these descriptions of both the armed robber and the vehicle:
- White male in his mid-20's to mid-30's, standing 5-foot-8 to 6-foot and weighing 185 to 200 pounds. Medium build, goatee and sideburns. Armed with a black handgun, he was sporting a straw hat (like a gardener would wear) and wire-framed glasses. He was wearing a black trench or western-style duster coat, black shirt, blue jeans and brown work boots.
- The gold, compact vehicle, possibly from the mid-90's, had tinted windows and no hubcaps.
Anyone with information to help solve the case is asked to call the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office at 813-247-8200.
To be eligible for a cash reward, call Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay at 1-800-873-TIPS (8477).
Report anonymously online at www.crimestopperstb.com. Or, text "CSTB [with you tip]" to C-R-I-M-E-S (274637).