The Vanguard Award Committee seeks nominations monthly for Vanguard Attorneys' "Student Athelete of the Month" program. Today, Sept. 14, is the deadline to nominate a junior or senior high school student in Hillsborough County.
Students, coaches and athletic directors are invited to nominate each month student athletes recognized for their "outstanding achievements in academics, athletics and in the community."
In addition to an award recognizing that accomplishment, a check for $1,000 will be donated to the recipient's school's athletic department. Student athletes of the month are eligible to be named the overall "Student Athlete MVP" at the end of the year and to recieve a check to apply to their college education.
"Last school year we were able to reward truly remarkable students who have had a positive impact on high school athletics and we are thrilled to be able to continue celebrating the achievements of outstanding student-athletes in Hillsborough County," said Frank Marsalisi, managing attorney of Vanguard Attorneys, in a news release about the awards program.
- Related Coverage: Vanguard Awards Hillsborough County Student Athletes (2011-12)
The Vanguard Award program also recognizes an outsanding male and female coach at the end of the school year. The winning coaches are noted for their "remarkable contributions, both on and off the field." Each Coach of the Year receives $1,000, "as of way of thanking them for their commitment to making a positive impact in the community."
Robert Asphall, a football player from Leto High School, won the Vanguard MVP Award for 2011-12. Coach of the Year awards went to Robert Burns, football coach at Robinson, and Madeilynann Micthell, volleyball coach at King.
New to the awards committee this year is Arthenia Joyner, a former teacher and current state sentator.
"Her committment will be a powerful asset to our program and we are excited to have her on board, Marsalisi said about Joyner, who serves as counsel to Vanguard Attorneys.
It was noted that Joyner served perviously on the Citizens Advisory Committee for the Hillsborough County School Board and has received the Shining Star for Public Education Award from the Pinellas Classroom Teachers Association in 2011.
What To Know About the Vanguard Award Program
- Established in 2011 by Vanguard Attorneys, a Florida injury firm serving the Tampa Bay area.
- Mission is "to celebrate outstanding high school student athletes and coaches throughout Hillsborough County.
- Honors "the hard work, drive and discipline necessary for student athletes to make an impact both in athletics and within the classroom."
- Also recognizes a male and female "Coach of the Year."
Requirements for Nominated Students
- Provide the student's name and year (only juniors and seniors are eligible).
- Provide the stuent's overall grade-point average (a minimum 3.0 GPA is required).
- List sports and athletic achievements.
- Describe community involvement.
- Detail any hardships the student athlete had to overcome.
- Detail student's plans for continuing education.
NOTE: The awards program is open to student athletes who compete in their nominated sport during the nomination month or the previous month. For example, students who compete in September or October will be considered for the October Vanguard award.
Brandon Patch will post a reminder in time for October, and subsequent month, nominations.
2011-12 Vanguard Award Student-Athlete WinnersMonth Athlete High School September Kieran Pettus East Bay October Robert Asphall Leto November Katherine Lutton Hillsborough December Brittany Butler Plant City January Christopher Duvall Robinson February Sara Hill Freedom March Amy Mildebrath Alonso April Leon McQuay Armwood