Friday night lights burned bright for Eastern Hillsborough County teams, with Armwood, Bloomingdale, Brandon, Newsome, Plant City and Riverview scoring a collective 230 points in their Aug. 30 wins. Together, the six teams gave up only 46 points.
Here's how the local teams fared:
Newsome, on the road, over Tampa Bay Tech, 23-12
- "Tampa Bay Tech brought the hip and the hype. Newsome was hungry … like a Wolf." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Armwood, at home, over Durant, 48-6
- "Brandishing a power-driven run game that evoked images of the old Hawks triple-option — minus the triple and the option — the Hawks (1-0) amassed 255 rushing yards in a 48-6 rout of Durant on a muggy opening night." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Brandon, on the road, over Blake, 17-6
- "Brandon's option attack helped it dominate field possession, including four first-half drives inside Blake's 31-yard line in the first half." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Bloomingdale, at home, over Strawberry Crest, 23-12
- "A seesaw battle with four lead changes turned into an exchange of punts in the second half, during which Bloomingdale scored the only points." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Plant City, on the road, over Steinbrenner, 25-10
- "Plant City's defense allowed only 10 yards of total offense during the Raiders' 25-10 win at Steinbrenner on Friday night." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.
Riverview, on the road, over Leto, 56-0
- "Senior running back Jaylin Vereen ran for three touchdowns, two in the first quarter and one in the fourth, to lead Riverview to a rout of Leto." — From TBO.com game coverage.
Wharton, at home, over Spoto, 38-0
- "Wharton, which looked sluggish offensively last week against Gaither, jumped to a 14-0 lead thanks to TD catches of 14 and 18 yards from [Auden] Tate, who finished with four receptions for 42 yards." — From Tampa Bay Times game coverage.