The Brandon Ballet, at The Regent in Riverview on July 28, will be hosting children ages 8 to 18 for this year's National Dance Day, a grassroots movement created by Nigel Lythgoe, founder of the Dizzy Feet Foundation and executive producer and co-creator of the reality television show So You Think You Can Dance.
"We want everyone to be involved with dance as much as possible," said Alice Holden Bock, artistic director of the Brandon Ballet, in residence at The Dance Center in Brandon. "We've never done the National Dance Day before and we're real excited about doing it. We'll have lights and music and it will be a fun time."
The Dizzy Feet Foundation has created two routines for the event: an "Everybody Dance" routine from Zumba Fitness and a Hip-Hop Master Class from Lauren Gottlieb, an all-star dancer from So You Think You Can Dance.
The main event will be held on the west coast, at Grand Park, billed as "Los Angeles County's newest, most exciting outdoor destination." But local groups nationwide will be involved as well and are invited to upload videos showing their singular efforts.
Enter the Brandon Ballet, which is promoting its participation advancing what is describe as "a tool to promote physical fitness through dance education."
Participants are asked to review the dances online, then go to The Regent on July 28 to perform together.
For Bock, the event helps further her overall goal for ballet in the Greater Brandon community and beyond. As she put it: "I love dance, and I want quality dancer her. I want for us to be able to have someting in this community that a big city would have."
5 Things To Know About National Dance Day With the Brandon Ballet
- The event is scheduled for Saturday, July 28, from 7 to 10 p.m.
- Dancers will meet at The Regent in the Greater Brandon community of Riverview, in the southwest corner of the Winthrop development, at 6437 Watson Road.
- The local event is for children ages 8 1o 18 only. Children ages 8 to 11 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Admission (to help offset the cost of the facility rental) is $15 per child. Adults observing do not have to purchase a ticket. Tickets can be purchased in advance online at the Brandon Ballet or by calling 813-684-4282.
- Learn in advance one or both dances, the "Everybody Dance" routine from Zumba Fitness or the Hip-Hop Master Class. Both dances are presented online by the Dizzy Feet Foundation.